September 7, 2014

A city center project just finished this week -- new steps down to a lower street,
 flowers and play area for children.
Another cool week.  In fact, Tuesday was dark, cold and rainy.  The Hungarians are wearing coats!  Our branch president went to help his parents harvest their big garden and commented how much the rain has hurt the tomatoes and the grapes.  He said the potatoes and carrots have to be harvested out of mud.

School started this week for most students, so we had only one young man for home evening.  He has recently become active and attended the Youth Conference in Germany and is fired up.  He was so worried after his first day of school because of the way students were talking.  He said he doesn’t want to be around them and was worried how he is going to handle this year.   That gave us a great lesson topic for home evening and we talked about standing for what you know is right – often alone. 

Two afternoons we spent with our translator making calls and setting up appointments for humanitarian projects.  We did make one delivery this week (which joyously cleared our bedroom of stacks of blankets and towels), but will have the official closing this coming week. 

Oh, we solved the therapy bed problem.  We went to see the man who is the country’s head of the disabled agencies (we have met him a couple of times before) and asked him if another of their agencies could use the therapy bed.  He was thrilled!   He said that 20 cm would not hinder therapy work for most people.   Currently our budget is calling for less expensive projects, so it may be the first of the year before we can get back to that lady – if it seems right at that time.  He even offered to pick up the bed and transport it to a new location; and said he would invite us to see it and observe it in use.

Thursday we were invited to dinner at the German family’s home.  They live about 50K away from Kaposvár.  They have a 38-year-old son who lives at home with them (who has an internet business), and speaks very good English, but who is no longer active.  He is a very personable and is very respectful to his parents and translates for them and us.  I gave her a visiting teaching message.  We wish we could get him back to Church.   The parents are faithful – every other week.  Don’t know if it’s money, distance or just the mindset they have.  He served as a branch president in Germany years ago, but even after 9 years here, he does not speak any Hungarian.   

Friday was district meeting and then Young Single Adults in the evening, so typically I am cooking all afternoon.  I have to think of things that are inexpensive (for the branch budget) on this day and can be transported to the branch house and kept warm – so that means either in the two (small) crock pots or two kettles that I have.  There is no oven at the church.  I usually make a one-dish something and some sort of bread.  The kids and the elders (of course) lurk over the bread waiting for ‘go.’   (When I was asked to bring sacrament bread one elder said he was waiting all week because he thought I would make it.)   Institute began this week as the first part of YSA, and we had Minute-to-Win-It games planned, but the kids all left after institute and the meal.  School has just started and a couple of them had been out of town all week at school and were ready to be home.   Who knows?  Things may change with school starting.  We’ll have to see, but we have next week’s games ready.  

Saturday came and we realized we hadn’t taken a single picture – not a picturesque sort of week.  We knew there was a city festival of some sort in town so we walked there to see what it was about.   It was a city family festival.  There were about 20 or so booths set up selling jewelry,



This reminded us of Utah, but it is Slovakia.
artwork, specialty foods and a few miscellaneous items -- i.e., wine.  

There was a stage with music,

children painting on a vacant store’s windows (this was planned) 

and another area with some games for families.

We had invited the young man and his mother (who is less active at the present) to dinner today.  Then we got a call from the mission president saying he and another couple were coming here to church today so I invited them to lunch.  So it was to be a double header.  I shopped and was preparing on Saturday when we received a call from the mission president saying they forgot they were supposed to be in a different city for the dedication of their chapel.  And then the young man’s mother got called into work.   We quickly invited another young couple over.  He is from Texas (is our translator here), served here on a mission, married a Hungarian and is living here.  Her mother came with them and we had a delightful time.  So we had company after all.  It was a good day.

Testimony meeting today was awesome.  I am so grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and for its restoration on the earth at this time.  I am grateful for my testimony of its truthfulness, and for my parents who have taught me this truth.  I am also grateful for the Spirit which bears witness even when the words cannot be understood.  We have a Savior who loves and cares for each of us, who truly knows our every feeling and how to comfort us because He truly descended below ALL (or deeper) than any of us so that He would know and feel our needs and be there for us -- always!

1 comment:

  1. Glad the therapy table issue was resolved. I was mad at the woman who didn't want it. Your photo-less week turned out well. I know how the missionaries feel about your cooking. We had a building-missionary couple in Brazil who made delicious (at least they seemed so) chocolate cakes that they fed the elders some times.It was such a treat! Always enjoy your posts.